The History of
Greenholme Methodist Chapel
held at Greenhome Primtive Methodist Chapel was on the 17th
March 1901 , but the Methodist tradition goes back much
further. Both Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist services were held in
various people homes in Bretherdale and Greenholme as early as 1866.
The chapel building was constructed of corrugated iron on a
wooden frame and was purchased from Appleby Grammar School. It had to
be transported from Appleby to Greenholme by road
in sections. It is recorded that they experienced difficulty
when they reached Orton trying to negotiate "Bowmans Corner" because
the road was so narrow.
The Chapel continued to be used until November 1994 when, because of
the state of the building and reduced numbers it was forced to be
banner shown on the right is now at All Saints Church in Orton.